Have you ever heard or felt familiar with one of the marketing concepts, namely AIDA before?
In the world of digital marketing, AIDA is one of the most popular marketing concepts and funnels used by Digital Marketers to carry out business interests.
What is the AIDA Concept?
Draft AIDA is a marketing model that can identify the cognitive stages experienced by someone in the process of buying a product or service. This concept explains how prospective buyers go through a series of processes consisting of several stages before finally taking place in business buying activities.
According to The Balance Careers, an American pioneer in advertising and sales, Elias St Elmo Lewis, coined the phrase and his approach.
In 1899, Lewis talked about how to get the reader’s attention when providing information to “convert” them into customers.
Then, in 1909, it developed and became attention-grabbing, intriguing, persuasive, and convincing. It more or less resembles the AIDA concept which is now well known throughout the world.
AIDA is an acronym consisting of Awareness , Interest , Desire , and Action .
The following below is an explanation of each letter that has represented the process of buying and selling transactions in business.
A = Awareness
The first stage of the AIDA concept is to create awareness or attraction for a brand and the products or services you sell. At this stage, we will explain how important it is to attract the attention of consumers which can be done in many ways.
One of them is like placing an ad in a location that has the possibility to be seen by many people. In addition, you can also add something provocative to attract the attention of potential consumers. At this stage, personalization can also help.
To make potential customers aware of your product or service, it is necessary to target potential customers individually. Usually interesting content consists of contradictory, provocative and informative messages. What is an example of interesting copywriting content like?
- Attention-grabbing headlines
- There is an attention-grabbing video
- Or you can also include an interesting image.
- The right content layout.
- jingles that customers can remember
I = Interest.
After successfully getting the attention of potential customers, the second stage of the AIDA concept is Interest or a stage to maintain it. This stage tends to be more difficult when compared to the first stage, especially the products and services of your business may not be qualified.
Maintaining consumer interest or interest is a particular challenge in the marketing process. However, there are many ways that can be done to continue to maintain consumer interest, one of which is by providing something that continues to be relevant and interesting.
Do not let consumers feel bored with ads that are just like that or even more difficult to understand. You can create a variety of interesting advertisements to provide what information potential customers can get.
Get the potential customer interested and interested in your brand and product or service. The Interest is important to encourage potential consumers to do further research related to the brand and the products or services you offer.
D = Desire (Desire or Desire)
Desire is the third stage in a series of purchasing processes for a product or service experienced by potential consumers according to the AIDA concept. When you have the assumption that potential customers are already attracted to the brand and product or service, then it’s time for you to create a more emotional passion and connection.
At this stage it is important to show the many advantages of your brand and product or service. And to make the interest of potential consumers to have a feeling to need your product or service.
If possible before, potential customers have a number of doubts and questions about the product or service you offer, at this stage it is important for you to maximize it.
You can reassure potential customers and provide the answers they need so that potential customers can feel the need to buy the product.
Don’t forget to make the information filled with a number of interesting facts about your product or service. In the science of Copywriting itself, there are 3 models to create a desire or desire in your prospective customers, including:
- It is necessary to explain how the product or service can solve the problems of potential customers
- Display customer testimonials that have been shown to help with previous sales.
- Show what benefits will be obtained from your product or service.
A = Action (Action)
The last stage of the AIDA concept is Action, meaning that it is at this stage that potential consumers finally take action to make decisions. At this stage, there are many forms that potential customers can take, such as visiting websites, making phone calls, subscribing to newsletters, visiting stores, and so on.
There is no guarantee that every marketing process will always end in a sale. However, it is important to make sure that every potential customer who has reached this Action has a pleasant impression and experience of your product or service.
Examples of AIDA in Business Marketing
The AIDA concept may not only be referred to as a marketing model, but also as a communication model. The AIDA concept is a method or concept that can identify how and when to communicate at each stage to potential customers.
Keep in mind that potential customers use different platforms and require different information. When you apply the AIDA concept in your business, keep the following key questions in mind:
- How do you make potential customers aware of the product or service you are marketing?
- What strategies do you use to reach targeted consumers?
- What message do you want to convey?
- What platforms will you use?
2. Interest (Interest or Interest)
- How will you get interest from potential customers?
- What evidence can support the reputation of your product or service?
- What content strategy do you have?
- How do you convey information?
3. Desire (Desire or Desire)
- What makes your product or service desired by potential customers?
- How to interact personally and make an emotional connection with potential customers? Is it through live chat or using social media platforms?
4. Action (Action)
- What form of invitation and where should you place it?
- Is it easy enough for potential customers to connect with your business?
- How do potential customers engage across the platforms available and they use you with?
Advantages and Disadvantages of the AIDA Concept
Summarizing from DM Exco, Ionos and Hub spot, below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of applying the AIDA concept.
a. Advantages of the AIDA
Concept The AIDA concept itself has been around for more than 100 years. Nevertheless, the AIDA concept is still used today because of its timeless and there are also many derived models, including:
- DAGMAR: Defining Advertising Goals for Measured Advertising Results
- AIDAS: Attention, Interest, Desire, Action, Satisfaction
In addition, other advantages of this AIDA concept are as follows:
- Being able to describe someone’s buying process very simply
- Helps you identify potential shortcomings of your own product or service
- In context Content Marketing, will assist you in creating content that can convert the target audience into consumers
b. Disadvantages of the AIDA Concept
However, the AIDA concept is not present without any drawbacks at all. The following are some of the shortcomings of the AIDA concept, including:
- Does not take into account buyer’s journey the non-linear
- Does not take into account impulse purchases
- Makes the buying process for someone’s needs too simple
- Does not involve factors when buying such as availability of goods, prices, customer satisfaction, and recommendations from the environment about
Another drawback of this marketing strategy using the AIDA concept when compared to other marketing strategies is the lack of attention to post-purchase effects.
In this case, the meaning of the post-purchase effect itself is customer satisfaction, repeat purchases, recommending others or providing certain testimonials.
Thus the discussion this time about the concept of AIDA. Several things that must be underlined in carrying out and implementing the AIDA concept are that they must be friendly to changes that occur.
That is, now many people have started using the internet as a marketing medium so that businesses can bring in greater profits than conventional marketing methods.